punctuation importance

Home Home Punctuation marks importance punctuation importance

This topic contains 51 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  Mrs. Aveen 9 months ago.

• Author

Mrs. Aveen
    Keymaster

punctuation marks are important ..but why ..? Do you think we can convey the same meaning without using them? How a text would look without using these marks? discuss using your own words

Jwan Mohammed
    Participant

Hello there,

In this post I will try to show you why punctuation marks are important.
    Well, there isn’t too much speech that I can explain it for you why the punctuation marks are important, but I will give you some examples that can make it loud and clear.

Some examples that shows why punctuation marks are important:

1-Ala likes cooking her family and dog.

Well look at this sentence, how can a human eat humans and dogs?!
    But after putting punctuation marks the meaning will be cleared.
    Like,
    Ala likes cooking, her family, and her dog.

2-Let’s eat daddy.

I think nobody wants to eat their daddy! That’s why you should use punctuation marks.
    Like,
    let’s eat, daddy.

3-She doesn’t eat too much diarrhea.

This sentence was funny and disgusting at the same time, because who eats diarrhea!!!
    This is the most powerful sentence that will encourage you to use punctuations. So please guys lets focus on our punctuation marks and not eat diarrhea(just for fun).
    The correct sentence is,
    She doesn’t eat too much, diarrhea. This means that she has diarrhea, So she is unable too eat enough.

4- employee must “wash hands”.
    And here is the punctuation mark used wrong. So don’t just use them, know when to use them. The quotation is not necessary here.

Well, as you can see the punctuation can change the whole meaning of a sentence, So be careful when to use them and how to use them.

By the way, excuse me if I have any punctuation mark mistakes, because I’m still not a pro in using punctuations.
    So if you see any comment them below, Thanks.

Best regards,

Jwan Mohammed Anwar.

• This reply was modified 11 months, 2 weeks ago by  Jwan Mohammed.
    • This reply was modified 11 months, 2 weeks ago by  Jwan Mohammed.

saraduhoki
    Participant

Punctuation is important because it can change the meaning of sentences, also, it’s good for your spelling and grammar which can be improved. I don’t think we can convey the same meaning without using them because if we don’t use the punctuation, the sentence can give a different meaning. A text would look different and unusual without punctuation and it would be hard for the reader to understand.

Sara

Mrs. Aveen
    Keymaster

Very good Sara .you’ve raised a good point ..it affects the text and make it difficult to readers to comprehend

Niroj
    Participant

Punctuation is important for meaning. For example: if you are writing a book,or a story. You need to know the rules. If you don’t then no one is willing to read your work and try to figure what you are actually trying to say. Cause sometimes you get confused of where the sentence ends ane you end up getting the meaning wrong or not understanding it at all.

For example: the father was genuinely happy to see everyone eating the dog and the cat were digging in their food

But if you use punctuation the meaning will all be clear and the family doesn’t have to eat their pets XD

The father was genuinely happy to see eveyone eating. The dog and the cat were digging in their food.

Sorry for the late reply. I’ve been busy.

• This reply was modified 11 months, 1 week ago by  Niroj.

Participant

I hope you would be fine. I would like to share a commentator and discuss but I don’t have time ..
    So sorry , good bye 👋

• This reply was modified 11 months, 1 week ago by  07508247706.

Princessa
    Participant

Hi everyone

Mrs. Aveen
    Keymaster

Hi princess. Wlc

Maryam
    Participant

Hi everyone

Shen hey
    Participant

Hi here i am
    Thanks for all comments

Mrs. Aveen
    Keymaster

Hi shen..now go and do the exercise on skimming

Ahmed Tariq Younis
    Participant

a mark, such as a full stop, comma, we will put it in the sentences

muna
    Participant

Punctuation marks are important yes , I think without them they change the sentence meaning and the reader will get confused and I also think without them it’s like you won’t feel them it’s affect a lot

Mrs. Aveen
    Keymaster

Yes Muna..exactly
    .it is amazing how the use of punctuation marks can change the meaning

Anonymous

hi world

Daria Hesham
    Participant

Hi there ! i hope we can help each other as much as we can ..! and i am really greatfull to be part of this .

Ahmed Tariq Younis
    Participant

yes it is important becuase the reader will understand what you have written and when you put pantuation mark your sentences gives meaning…..

Mrs. Aveen
    Keymaster

That is a good point Ahmed

Silav abdulrahman
    Participant

Of course they are important. In writing a text, or paragraph, or essay till the novel. I think it’s necessary thing for the writer, because they organize the writing. And to understand really in which situation the writer saying that. For example: when the writer writes It is wonderful. You think that it’s expression but if he writes like It is wonderful! It means he is surprised
    Even in our our daily chat with friends without using “imoji” we can understand each other by punctuation marks

Halven Dusky 2
    Participant

We have to use punctuation it makes the sentence clearly and more understandable.

Dilara
    Participant

Punctuation marks are important ,Because it makes your paragraph or ur sentence organised for the reader to read .Beside as some friends said that it change the meaning of the sentence ,But if we pot them in the wrong place it will change the meaning of your sentence and the reader will be confused .

Kazheen99
    Participant

Punctuation is important to understand the meaning of the sentence
    Without punctuation
    There is no meaning
    And the sentence will give us another meaning and the reader will be confused with the meaning, so it’s important to use punctuation

Anonymous

We have to use punctuation it makes the sentence clearly and more understandable… Faris Al Adnani

Diana M.Y 99
    Participant

Well I know that am late and
    every student write most of
    what I want to write but without
    punctuation marks written will be
    useless and can’t be understood
    sometimes and it’s more polite
    that it shows some respect

Daria Hesham
    Participant

Punctuation is one of the most important aspects of written English, and yet
    punctuation 1it is one that is taken the most lightly. It is, in fact, this feature of writing that gives meaning to the written words… much like pauses and changes in tones of the voice when speaking. An error in punctuation can convey a completely different meaning to the one that is intended.

For example:

Your book, John.

Your book, John?

Although the words are same here, the two sentences mean completely different things because of the period (or full stop) and the question mark.

Mrs. Aveen
    Keymaster

Very good ..all of you

shana duhoki
    Participant

In my opinion, punctuation is very important because it explains the formula of the sentence. An example of this is if we come up with a sentence and place an exclamation mark with this mark, we know that this is the whole sentence.😌

Mrs. Aveen
    Keymaster

Well done ..Shana

shana duhoki
    Participant

Thank you so much this is my duty
    Ms aveen

salwafaris
    Participant

I hope I give another example of how does punctuation change the whole meaning:)

An English professor wrote the words: A woman without her man is nothing on the chalkboard and asked the students to punctuate it correctly. All of the males in the class wrote: A woman, without her man, is nothing. “All of the females in the class wrote: A woman: without her, man is nothing.” Punctuation is powerful.

As you can see it can change the whole thing into something else
    So if you want a perfect paragraph plz make sure to know punctuation better

Mrs. Aveen
    Keymaster

Very nice explanation Salwa

Participant

Iam sorry for late but i think without punctuation we cannot understand english language .unfortunatlly we donnot care about it very well

Mrs. Aveen
    Keymaster

That is a good point Ayman. Yes many English learners do not take much care of punctuation and how to use them

Participant

thanks alot ms.aveen

Hawas
    Participant

No, without punctuation marks we can’t get a full meaning of sentences or any texts
    And i think above👆☝ are enough proofs that my guys showed to you.
    And here 👇👇 i will give you (all of you) a link for a PDF’s file that shows the importance of punctuation marks
    Regards 💚

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.apu.edu/live_data/files/288/basic_punctuation_rules.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjy1uqUwcDfAhWOpIsKHfwpDNAQFjAAegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw3W3oSepcr9iAErOgDAL0jo

Mrs. Aveen
    Keymaster

well done Hawas and thank you for sharing this PDF

shana duhoki
    Participant

· The fact that punctuation is very important in understanding the written text. … the point

placed at the end of the sentence

full meaning, which fulfills all verbal supplements, as well as placed in … and thus help to convey the meaning more clearly to the audience.

shilantamar
    Participant

English pronunciation it’s important because whenever we communicate we communicate through the speech ..okay!! .. if you have a bad pronunciation you will face problems for example in. ““ordering something””at somewhere like ((excuse me can I have a soup ?)) if your pronunciation isn’t correct maybe he or she give you a soap instead of soup so it’s very important to learn English pronunciation !!!

shilantamar
      Participant

Punctuation marks are important in writing because it’s where you show emphasis or pauses to the reader
      And also punctuation marks used to let the reader to understand what you want to convey..

Dilara
    Participant

Shilan tamar i think you got the point in a wrong way because its puctuation marks not english pronouncation .

shilantamar
    Participant

Ohh you’re right Dilara exactly 🤦🏻‍♀️Thanks!!!it’s about marks!

Dilara
    Participant

You are most welcom dear😊 shilan

walaa Essmat
    Participant

Yes, Punctuation marks are important because it can make your writing easier to read and more appealing and use of wrong mark of punctuation or even wrong placement of mark of punctuation can change the meaning of the sentence completely and sometimes even convert the sentence to complete nonsense.

Mrs. Aveen
    Keymaster

Well done everyone

Maryam
    Participant

I’m late sorry for that you explain every things, as you said punctuation marks is very importan in the language especially for the new learners like now we are learning English language for more understanding etc. Thanks 😊😊😊😊

Anonymous

Punctuation marks . They are so important in a writing , cus it helps reader to understand the texts in an easy way .
    remarkably, with ideas and information that you ‘ve alrday added in your writing . So for better understanding and with comprehensible writing you need to add all punctuation marks in your writing . As well as if you used to be a good writer at first you have to be a good user of puncuation marks . And second of all you need to add your abilities in writing . You can not write any good messages ,texts and Principally paragraphs and easys if you don’t use some good punctuation marks . It depends on writing and how you have to write your qualifications in yours writing . Why are we using these punctuations ? Cus we need an understandable writing . It’s not like a free writing to you use , such as simple punctuation markes . It should be in a good way . intelligibility, I like to use punctuation marks in a writing . Well done Miss ! 😊
    By Farhad Saeed

Anita_warda
    Participant

In my opinion punctuation marks are very important because Punctuation is indispensable. It makes the meaning clear and is a courtesy to the reader. It demonstrates that the writer knows how to use language and convey ideas.

And the opposite is true. A lack of proper punctuation obscures the meaning, insults the reader, and shows the writer to be functionally illiterate and not very bright.

karinrajab
    Participant

well, i think that Marks of punctuation play very important role in giving meaning to the language. Use of wrong mark of punctuation or even wrong place of mark of punctuation can change the meaning of the sentence completely and sometimes convert the sentence to complete nonsense.
    for example in the sentence “let’s eat grandpa”
    like who does eat grandpa’s??
    but if it was a normal sentence it would be: ‘let’s eat,grandpa’

Mrs. Aveen
    Keymaster

good job

Shrivan Sardar
    Participant

Hi there Iam really sorry for being late but till now I couldn’t log in and thanks a lot shen hey for helping me how to log in and to give my opinion about these exekent topics, as for punctuation importance I think they are important as such when you complete your sentence without using a period mark at the end or between two sentences not using comma so they are marks for making sentences more clear.

Mrs. Aveen
    Keymaster

Happy to know you have joined the group …sherivan .you can leave your comments on any topic …thanks to shen hey ☺

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.